APM can alert you based on the results of flow record analysis. Describe when APM should trigger alerts in terms of flow characteristics—e.g., rate, volume, IP address—and corresponding thresholds. A flow crossing the threshold in the increasing direction is a violate event; a flow crossing the threshold in the decreasing direction is a clear event. Whenever events occur, APM generates logs, annotates charts, highlights relevant table entries, and can notify you by email.
Usage alert profiles are a collection of conditions; each condition has a flow characteristic—e.g., QoS, application, category—and a corresponding threshold. A flow crossing the threshold in the increasing direction is a violate event; a flow crossing the threshold in the decreasing direction is a clear event. There are no system-defined profiles; you can make one from > Manage Alert Profiles, but there is an easier way to make them:
- Start usage monitoring on a monitoring point and then navigate to its monitoring point details page.
- Click on any link to open any tab.
- From the action menu of any table row, select ‘create new alert profile’.
- Add the proposed condition and/or your own.
- Apply the alert profile to the monitoring point from the monitoring point panel.
- Events are marked on the time axis of every chart: a red diamond indicates a condition violated; a green diamond indicates the condition cleared.
- Events are highlighted. Whenever results are filtered using a time range, and an event occurred in that range, relevant table rows are highlighted in red.
- Events are logged. Navigate to Usage > Events to display all events for all monitoring points.
- Events trigger notifications based on your notification profile.
Status icons tell you at a glance whether an alert condition is currently in violation: is for no violation, is for violation. Whenever the currently applied profile is changed, the monitoring point panel temporarily shows for indeterminate.