Use the following steps to install a Native Monitoring Point (NMP) on a Windows system on your network. After installation is complete, the NMP software connects to back APM. Once this is done, you need to license the Monitoring Point, set its location, and then set up monitoring.
Upgrading from a Windows Software Sequencer to a Windows NMP: If you are upgrading a Windows Software Sequencer (EMP 8.4 or earlier) to Windows NMP (EMP 12.8.0 or later), only steps 1, 2, and 3 below (Download, Install, and Verify) are required. The existing Monitoring Point identity and settings are preserved.
- Download the software
- Install the software
- Verify the software is running
- Assign licenses
- Set the Monitoring Point location
- Set up monitoring
- Related topics
- Make sure you’re using a supported OS.
- For virtual environments, make sure you’re using a qualified hypervisor and guest OS. If not, use a Virtual Monitoring Point (on KVM or VMware) instead.
Download the software
- Log in to APM.
- Select an organization (if you belong to more than one).
- If you’re setting up your first Monitoring Point, you will be taken to the first step of the Add Monitoring Point wizard.
- If your organization already has Monitoring Points, navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points > Add Monitoring Points.
- In the Platform Type field, select Windows (native).
- Click Download.
- The installer is downloaded to your computer.
Install the software
There are two ways to install the software:
- Manual install - install on your Windows PC directly
- Unattended install - install on Windows PCs remotely
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded the installation package (e.g., appneta-nmp-for-<org>-windows-<version>.exe).
- In Windows, press the Windows Logo Key + E to open File Explorer.
- Select the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the downloaded file (e.g., appneta-nmp-for-<org>-windows-<version>.exe).
- Depending on your environment, you may receive messages prompting you to approve making changes on your system. You must approve all of these.
- For example:
- Click Yes.
- Click Yes.
- For example:
- Read the license agreement. If you accept it, select I accept, and click Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Close.
- The NMP software is installed.
To deploy to multiple PCs using a Configuration Management (CM) tool (for example, Microsoft Endpoint Manager (formerly SCCM)):
- Define an “Appneta NMP” application in the CM tool
- Add the downloaded installer (installer.exe) to the application and deploy to your Windows hosts
The installer contains the following command line options:
|/S||Silent mode. Install and uninstall with no end-user interaction. Useful for mass deployment through configuration management tools.|
|/JustUnpack=1||Unpack the files but do not register, start the service, or change firewall rules.|
|/ModifyFirewallRules=0||Installs and starts the Monitoring Point but skips configuration of firewall rules. Use this option if you wish to manage host firewall rules by other means (for example, a configuration management tool).|
|/D=<SomePath>||Install the program at a specific path. The default path is C:\ProgramFiles\AppNeta\NativeMonitoringPoint.|
Verify the software is running
To check that the AppNeta Native Monitoring Point service is running:
- In the Windows search box (lower left), type “services”.
- Click Services.
- If you receive a message prompting you to approve making changes on your system, click Yes.
- Confirm that the “AppNeta Native Monitoring Point” appears in the list and its Status is Running.
Every Monitoring Point is sold with a base license that allows it to monitor a certain number of applications. The base license must be assigned to the Monitoring Point in APM before it can be used. Optionally, add-on licenses can be assigned.
To license a Monitoring Point:
- Within APM, navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Wait for the new Monitoring Point to show up in the list (you may need to refresh your screen).
- The Monitoring Point status should show “Connection Established” ().
- If it doesn’t appear after a few minutes, you’ll need to troubleshoot the problem.
- Assign a base license to the Monitoring Point.
- Optionally, assign add-on licenses as required.
Set the Monitoring Point location
When adding a new Monitoring Point to APM, you need to specify its location. This setting provides essential geographical context for the data that the Monitoring Point collects.
To set the location of the Monitoring Point:
- Enter the Monitoring Point location if prompted during the setup procedure.
- If you are outside the setup procedure, you’ll need to edit the Monitoring Point location.
Set up monitoring
At this point the Monitoring Point setup is complete. Continue the APM setup procedure at Set up monitoring.
Note that the NMP only supports Delivery monitoring. It does not support Experience or Usage monitoring.