Use the following steps to install a software Monitoring Point on macOS (Catalina). After installation is complete, the Monitoring Point connects to back APM. Once this is done, you need to license the Monitoring Point, set its location, and then set up Delivery monitoring.
- Download the configuration file
- Download the software
- Install the software and apply the configuration
- Verify connectivity to APM
- Assign licenses
- Set the Monitoring Point location
- Set up monitoring
- Determine the best place in your network to deploy the Monitoring Point.
- Configure your firewall rules to enable the Monitoring Point access to APM.
- The Monitoring Point can still be installed and configured without this step, but monitoring is not possible until it is done.
Download the configuration file
- On the Mac you want to deploy the software Monitoring Point to, open a browser and log in to APM.
- Select an organization if you belong to more than one.
- If you’re setting up your first Monitoring Point, you’ll automatically be taken to the first step of the Add Monitoring Point wizard.
- If your organization already has Monitoring Points, you’ll have to navigate to the first step:
- Navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Click Add Monitoring Points.
- Click Physical Monitoring Point.
- Click Direct Connect.
- Click Download File.
The <username>_nis.config file is downloaded to Downloads.
Download the software
- Open the Terminal application.
Download the software Monitoring Point software.
curl -O https://appliance-files.s3.amazonaws.com/AppNeta-Sequencer.dmg
- The AppNeta-Sequencer.dmg file is downloaded to the current directory.
Install the software and apply the configuration
- Open Finder and double-click AppNeta-Sequencer.dmg (you may need to search for it).
- Right-click Sequencer.pkg and select Open With > Installer (default).
- In the Install AppNeta Sequencer wizard, click Continue and follow the instructions.
- You may be prompted to select the configuration file you downloaded earlier (<username>_nis.config).
- Click Close.
- If you see an error message when moving application files to Trash, you can ignore it.
Verify connectivity to APM
- In APM, navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- The new Monitoring Point will likely not appear.
- If the new Monitoring Point does not appear, do the following:
- In the Apple menu on your Mac, select System Preferences.
- Click AppNeta Sequencer.
- In the PathView Cloud Configuration section, click Select new .config.
- Select the <username>_nis.config file you downloaded in a previous step and click Open.
- If the Monitoring Point does not start automatically, click Start in the Status section.
- After a few seconds, the Monitoring Point should appear on the Monitoring Points page. You may need to refresh the page.
Every Monitoring Point is sold with a base license that allows it to monitor a certain number of applications. The base license must be assigned to the Monitoring Point in APM before it can be used. Optionally, add-on licenses can be assigned.
To license a Monitoring Point:
- Within APM, navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Wait for the new Monitoring Point to show up in the list (you may need to refresh your screen).
- The Monitoring Point status should show “Connection Established” ().
- If it doesn’t appear after a few minutes, you’ll need to troubleshoot the problem.
- Assign a base license to the Monitoring Point.
- Optionally, assign add-on licenses as required.
Set the Monitoring Point location
When adding a new Monitoring Point to APM, you need to specify its location. This setting provides essential geographical context for the data that the Monitoring Point collects.
To set the location of the Monitoring Point:
- Enter the Monitoring Point location if prompted during the setup procedure.
- If you are outside the setup procedure, you’ll need to edit the Monitoring Point location.
Set up monitoring
At this point the Monitoring Point setup is complete. Continue the APM setup procedure at Set up monitoring.
Note that the software Monitoring Point only supports Delivery monitoring. It does not support Experience or Usage monitoring.