Use the following steps to install a physical monitoring point in your network. The procedure creates a .zip file with the information necessary for the monitoring point to connect back to APM. The .zip file is then loaded onto the monitoring point using a USB stick. Once the APM can communicate with the monitoring point, additional features can be configured.
- Create an install file
- Load the install file
- Connect to the network
- Configure for web proxy if required
- Assign licenses
- Set the device location
- Cable for Usage monitoring
- Configure additional features
A USB stick (blank, FAT32-formatted) is required for this method of monitoring point setup.
Create an install file
To create the install (.zip) file:
- Log in to APM.
- Select an organization if you belong to more than one.
- If you’re setting up your first monitoring point, you’ll automatically be taken to the first step of the Add Monitoring Point wizard.
- If your organization already has monitoring points, navigate to the first step:
- Log in.
- Select an organization.
- Navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Click + Add Monitoring Points.
- Click Physical Monitoring Point.
- Click USB Configuration.
- Follow the instructions provided.
- A .zip file is created.
Load the install file
To load the install (.zip) file on your monitoring point:
- Copy the .zip file to your blank USB stick.
- Confirm that your monitoring point is powered on and in a ready state.
- Insert the USB stick into your monitoring point.
- The monitoring point will indicate that the USB stick has been inserted.
- Wait for your monitoring point to return to a ready state.
- Remove the USB stick.
- The install file is loaded on your monitoring point.
Connect to the network
To physically connect the monitoring point to the network:
- Verify that the switch you’ll be connecting to has its default port speed and duplex set to auto-negotiate.
- Using a standard Ethernet cable, connect the monitoring point to the switch using the Primary network connection in this table.
Configure for web proxy if required
If Internet traffic on your network is forwarded by a web proxy, you must configure the monitoring point with the proxy details.
All monitoring points need a license before they can do anything. Every monitoring point comes with a base license that allows you to monitor a certain number of applications. Other licenses may be added as needed.
- Go back to APM where you should be prompted to assign the monitoring point a license.
- Assign it at least a base license—called ‘small’, ‘medium’, or ‘large’ depending on your device model.
If you find yourself outside the Add Monitoring Point workflow and there is an unlicensed monitoring point in your organization, navigate to > Manage Licenses to assign it one.
Set the device location
When adding a new monitoring point to APM, you are prompted to enter its location. This setting provides essential context for the data that the monitoring point collects. APM is all about monitoring from the perspective of your end users, and the location setting effectively declares where those users are geographically.
If you find yourself outside the Add Monitoring Point workflow and there is a monitoring point in your organization without a location set, you can set it from > Manage Monitoring Points > > Edit Location.
Cable for Usage monitoring
In order to use Usage monitoring, the monitoring point must be cabled for it:
- Cable the monitoring point for Usage monitoring using one of the following methods:
Configure additional features
Once the monitoring point is connected to your network, you can configure it further based on your needs.
|Feature||Applicable Monitoring Point|
|Add a physical interface||m25, m30, m35, r40, r45, r400|
|Add a VLAN interface||m22, m25, m30, m35, r40, r45, r400|
|Add a wireless interface||m22, m25, m30, m35|
|Change the default interface||m25, m30, m35, r40, r45, r400|
|Add static routes||m22, m25, m30, m35, r40, r45, r400|
|Add a bridge interface (for Usage monitoring)||r40, r45, r400|
|Enable IPv6||m25, m35, r45|
|Enable TACACS+||m22, m25, m30, m35, r40, r45, r400|
|Add 10G network connectivity||r400|
|Add 10G Usage monitoring||r400|