Use the following steps to install a physical monitoring point in your network. Once the APM can communicate with the monitoring point, additional features can be configured.
This install method is not recommended. It should only be used if you are unable to use the recommended method using a USB stick.
- Connect to the network
- Configure the monitoring point
- Assign licenses
- Set the monitoring point location
- Cable for Usage monitoring
- Configure additional features
Connect to the network
To physically connect the monitoring point to the network:
- Verify that the switch you’ll be connecting to has its default port speed and duplex set to auto-negotiate.
- Using a standard Ethernet cable, connect the monitoring point to the switch using the monitoring point’s Primary network connection (See Monitoring Points. Look in the “port descriptions” section for your monitoring point). A cabling diagram can be found in Monitoring Point Cabling.
Configure the monitoring point
The instructions for the ‘Direct Connect’ physical monitoring point setup method are found within AppNeta Performance Manager (APM).
- Log in to APM.
- Select an organization if you belong to more than one.
- If you’re setting up your first monitoring point, you’ll automatically be taken to the first step of the Add Monitoring Point wizard.
- If your organization already has monitoring points, you’ll have to navigate to the first step:
- Navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Click + Add Monitoring Points.
- Click Physical Monitoring Point.
- Click Direct Connect.
- Follow the instructions provided.
Every monitoring point is sold with a base license that allows it to monitor a certain number of applications. The base license must be assigned to the monitoring point in APM before it can be used. Optionally, add-on licenses can be assigned.
To license a monitoring point:
- Within APM, navigate to > Manage Monitoring Points.
- Wait for the new monitoring point to show up in the list (you may need to refresh your screen).
- The monitoring point status should show “Connection Established” ().
- If it doesn’t appear after a few minutes, you’ll need to troubleshoot the problem.
- Assign a base license to the monitoring point.
- Optionally, assign add-on licenses as required.
Set the monitoring point location
When adding a new monitoring point to APM, you need to specify its location. This setting provides essential geographical context for the data that the monitoring point collects.
To set the location of the monitoring point:
- Enter the monitoring point location if prompted during the setup procedure.
- If you are outside the setup procedure, you’ll need to edit the monitoring point location.
Cable for Usage monitoring
In order to use Usage monitoring, the monitoring point must be cabled for it:
- Cable the monitoring point for Usage monitoring using one of the following methods:
Configure additional features
Once the monitoring point is connected to your network, you can configure it further based on your needs.
|Feature||Applicable Monitoring Point|
|Add a physical interface||m25, m30, m35, m50, m70, r40, r45, r90, r400|
|Add a VLAN interface||m22, m25, m30, m35, m50, m70, r40, r45, r90, r400, r1000|
|Add a wireless interface||m22, m25, m30, m35, m50, m70|
|Add a static IP address||m22, m25, m30, m35, m50, m70, r40, r45, r90, r400, r1000|
|Change the default interface||m25, m30, m35, m50, m70, r40, r45, r90, r400, r1000|
|Add static routes||m22, m25, m30, m35, m50, m70, r40, r45, r90, r400, r1000|
|Add an interface for Usage monitoring||m70, r40, r45, r90, r400, r1000|
|Enable IPv6||m25, m35, m50, m70, r45, r90, r1000|
|Enable LDAP||m25, m35, m50, m70, r45, r90, r1000|
|Enable TACACS+||m22, m30, r40, r400|
|r90 - 10Gbps Delivery/Experience monitoring on port 4||r90|
|r90 - 10Gbps Usage monitoring on port 3||r90|
|r400 - 10Gbps Delivery/Experience monitoring on eth 7||r400|
|r400 - 10Gbps Usage monitoring on eth 6||r400|
|r1000 - 10Gbps Delivery/Experience monitoring on port 2||r1000|
|r1000 - 10Gbps Usage monitoring on port 3||r1000|